Open DLL File
DLL file extension is used by Microsoft Windows to store
DLL files usually contain code that is shared by many different applications. A good example would be wsock32.dll that contains code for sending data over the Internet. This DLL is used by browsers, email clients, instant messenger programs etc.
DLL is a binary file. That is why it is impossible to open DLL file and view it using regular text editors. Some useful information could be extracted from DLL file using Dependency Walker which allows to open DLL files and shows dependencies between different DLLs. Also, you can use HEX editors to open DLL file and view its content, but to extract any useful information you should use dumpbin.exe tool.
Another common usage of DLL files are "plugins". Plugins are mini-programs that extend features of other programs. For example, DLL that is responsible for drawing nice psychedelic graphics when you listen to music in your favorite player is a visualization plugin.
Please note that it is common for DLL files to contain trojans and viruses. We strongly recommend having an up-to-date antivirus software running on your PC at all times.
Open DLL File on Windows OS
- Find a DLL file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the DLL file in question.
- If you know the application which can open DLL file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open DLL file then try to search for "DLL wiki", "application to open DLL file" or "DLL file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open DLL file
Rate this page: 4/5 based on 5 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open DLL files, file extension dll and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...